Economic Current Affairs:
- Wholesale price index-based inflation (WPI) rose to 4.17% in February.
Wholesale price index-based inflation (WPI) rose to 4.17 percent for the second consecutive month in February as food, fuel and electricity prices rose. WPI inflation was 2.03 percent in January and 2.26 percent in February 2020.
- The Finance Minister introduced a bill to increase the FDI limit in insurance from 49% to 74%.
Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman introduced a bill in the Rajya Sabha on March 15, 2021, amending the Insurance Act to pave the way for 74 percent foreign direct investment (FDI) in the sector.
- A Bill to amend the Mines and Minerals Development Act was introduced in the Lok Sabha.
On 15 March 2021, Minister of Mines Pralhad Joshi introduced a Bill in the Lok Sabha to amend the Mines and Minerals (Development and Regulation) Act, 1957.
- Ajay Mathur took over as Director General of International Solar Alliance.
On 15 March 2021, Ajay Mathur took over as the Director General of the International Solar Alliance (ISA). On 15 February, the ISA Special Assembly elected Mathur as Director General. This appointment is for four years.
- India’s arms imports decreased by 33% between 2011-15 and 2016-20: SIPRI
According to a report released by Stockholm-based defense think-tank SIPRI on March 15, 2021, there was a 33% decrease in arms imports between 2011–15 and 2016–20 and Russia was the most affected.
Games Current Affairs:
- India, England won by eight wickets in Butler’s storm.
After a fine bowling performance by bowlers led by Mark Wood, opener Jose Butler’s stormy half-century saw England beat India by eight wickets in the third T20 International cricket to take a 2–1 lead in the five-match series.
- Murali Srishankar to play in Tokyo Olympics
Qualified with a new national record of 8.26m in the long jump, 8.29m in 2016. But Rutherford won the bronze.